We at Overseas Prep are here to help you!
The Government of Canada provides many opportunities for Indian students to study in their country. As a prerequisite, you will have to obtain a Study Permit and a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV). Many are opting to study in Canada as it offers advantages to other countries:
What is a Study Permit?
It is not a visa but a permit or a document issued by the Citizen and Immigration (CIC), which allows you to study in Canada.
You must always carry your study permit along with a visitor visa or Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA). Kindly keep in mind that a study permit is a document that allows you to study in Canada while a Visitor visa or ETA allows you to enter Canada.
Our Admission counselor will help you access the latest information for entry in Canada. They will also guide you with authorized migration experts if required any.
Applying for a Canadian Study Permit
Ensure that you fulfill all the eligibility criteria before applying. To apply for your study permit, you will need to follow the process:
1. A standardized letter of acceptance from the educational institution that you applied to.
2. You must hold a valid passport, which allows you to travel to Canada as well as return to your country of origin.
3. Canadian student visa requirements include proof that you can support yourself or any family members who might accompany you. You will also need to prove that you have money to pay for the tickets to return home.
4. Identity documents such as Birth certificates, marriage certificates, etc. may also be requested.
5. Medical reports.
Submit your study permit application
You have two options to apply for a Canadian study permit
- Online Application: You can create an account on Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship website and submit applications electronically through soft copies.
- Manual paper application: You need to gather hard copies and mail them to Visa Application Centers. A paper application may take double the processing time as that of an online application.
Benefits of Online Visa application
a) Application process is accelerated.
b) You can instantly know that it is incomplete, as an incomplete application will not be accepted.
c) Mailing time will be saved.
d) You will be regularly updated through email.
How Long Does it Take to Get a Study Permit in Canada?
Processing time for study permits may vary depending on the number of applications received by the Immigration office. It may vary from 2-16 weeks. You can avail of visas with faster processing time through the Study Direct Stream (SDS) program launched by Immigration, Refugee, and Citizenship Canada. This is for students from India, China, the Philippines & Vietnam. This may require additional documents as well as at least a 6 score on the IELTS test.
What are the terms and conditions attached to Canadian Study Permit?
- You must be accepted at an educational institute that is a designated learning institution or DLI.
- If you are joining and studying in Quebec, you must be enrolled as a part-time student or a full-time student.
- From your program of study, you must not take any official leaves longer than 150 days.
How to avail of your Canadian Study Permit finally after application?
Once your visa application is approved, you will receive a Port of Entry Introduction letter. You must present this letter along with your passport and any other financial statements, which are advised to be shown to the Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) in Canada. They will then issue the Canadian study permit.
How to start working while you Studying in Canada?
In Canada, students are allowed to work for 20 hours during the university semesters and full-time during winter or summer breaks without the need for a work permit. They do not require a work permit for the same.
To be eligible to work, you must:
- Hold a valid study permit.
- Be enrolled as a full-time student.
- Be enrolled at a Designated Learning Institution at the post-secondary level or vocational program at secondary in Quebec. Your course
- must be at least six months duration long. You will also need a Social Insurance Number (SIN) from the Service Office to work in Canada and receive benefits from government services.